Thursday, September 21, 2017

"Follow me"... today I'll try


"I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but the sinners." (From today gospel account of the calling of Matthew in MT 9:9-13)

I once heard a priest say that a good sermon, "Comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable." That is exactly what Jesus seems to be doing in todays gospel on the feast day of St Matthew who I was named after.

I always feel that I can relate to Matthew as I am sinner in need of great healing just as he was. His story gives me hope. The great physician wants to heal me and continues time and again to say, "Follow Me." Do I have the courage like my namesake to get up from the mess I am existing in and follow? Some days I feel that I want to but when I am honest, I still hold onto so many things that weigh me down. Conversion needs to be a daily decision to follow and live life for the Lord. We'll never make it on our own but Jesus longs to heal us and give us the peace our hearts desires. So let's take courage in the fact that we have a Savior who came for us, the sick. He dines with us, invites us to walk with him and heals our wounds.


No comments: