Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Understanding the Beatitudes

The Beatitudes are a central part of Jesus' message but have have always been a bit mysterious to me. For some reason, I just can't visualize what they mean as well as I'd like. A while back I did some reading on and meditating on them during a holy hour and attempted to define what each one was asking of me. These questions are likely lacking and incomplete but putting them down helped me ponder and better understand Jesus' words...

The Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12):
3 " Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Am I detached from things of this world. Do I recognize my need for his mercy?

4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."
Do I morn for my sins and for injustices?

5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
Do I restrain my anger and discouragement when things don't go well?

6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."
Do I make the Lord's will my will and seek his kingdom and righteousness in my actions?

7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."
Am I patient and understanding in bearing other's faults and charitable and generous as much as I can be?

8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."
Do I possess integrity at my core or do I have evil or lustful thoughts?

9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."
Do I sow peace in the world ultimately by sharing the gospel so others can be reconciled with God and experience his peace?

10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Does my commitment to the gospel of Christ make me a target of the world?
 

No comments: