Friday, October 13, 2017

My Fatima Experience

One hundred years ago today, something miraculous happened in Fatima, Portugal. I was blessed as a 14 year old boy in 1994, to be part of a youth pilgrimage to Fatima with Fr Robert Fox. This experience had a significant impact on my life.

The pilgrimage really deepened my faith and revealed to me how universal our Catholic Faith is. It was so powerful to be part of the massive gatherings of hundreds of thousands of people at the place that our Mother Mary appeared. Catholics from all parts of the world, all ages and walks of life, joined together in singing ‘Ave Maria’ and created a sea of candlelight. That is something that I will never forget—the faith displayed and unity—it was beautiful. As wonderful as these large gatherings were to be a part of, I think the more profound moments of the trip were in the quieter times where our group of young men prayed together. Even the way we joined each morning in a little chapel for morning prayers and song really touched me and I found myself making my parents faith my own.

Recently I found a short paper I wrote not long after my trip (no doubt as part of a school assignment) in which I gave a reporters style perspective of one of my roommates on the trip. Following is what I wrote.

On August 2, 1994 fifteen year old Michael Englert from Bartlett, Illinois, began a trip that would change his life forever. He traveled to a town in Portugal called Fatima.  It was here that in 1917 three shepherd children Lucia, Jacinta, and Francisco, were visited by the Blessed Virgin Mary.  She performed a miracle in which a large crowd that had gathered saw the sun dance then fall toward the earth before it returned to its regular place in the sky.  Father Robert Fox led Englert and a group of other young men on a pilgrimage to this sacred spot. The message he gave to the boys when they got there, "Don't pass through Fatima, let Fatima pass through you," echoed in Englert's mind as he glanced at the hilly, rocky landscape and noticed the houses with red tile roofing.

Englert's days began at 7:00am with his counselor knocking on the door of his hotel room and saying, "Praise be Jesus Christ!" Englert would reply, "Now and Forever!"  He had forty-five minutes to get washed up and off to Morning Prayers. Each day of his nine day pilgrimage had different outings planned, yet each day had routine meals, prayers, speakers, and free time.

A place Englert really liked was the Loca do Cabeco  where an angel appeared to three shepherd children. While touring the houses where children had lived he got to shake hands with Jacinta and Francisco's brother, John, who still lives in the Fatima area.

On the 12th of August Englert helped lead the procession at the Cova. There was a tremendous sea of light as thousands of people carrying candles prayed and sang to honor our Lady. "In Portugal, I consecrate myself to our Lady and  feel I can now help spread this message of Peace," said Englert, who whether or not he is called into the priesthood, believes that this pilgrimage has given him direction for his life.
 
 

No comments: