Friday, April 21, 2006

The power of the Resurrection

“All of you and all the people of Israel should know that it was in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazorean whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead; in his name this man stands before you healed. He is the stone rejected by you, the builders,which has become the cornerstone. There is no salvation through anyone else, nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved.” – From Acts 4
This was St. Peter’s bold proclamation as he stood before the very same leaders who condemned Jesus to death. As I read this passage, which was the first reading for today, it struck me what a 360 Peter had recently done. Not long before, Peter had witnessed these very men condemn Jesus and when questioned if he was one of Christ’s disciples, he adamantly denied even knowing Him. Now standing before them in possibly the same place even, Peter declares that there is no salvation through anyone but Christ. How amazing is that!

What a transformation Peter underwent. This is the power of the Resurrection and it gives me hope. I know I’m far from perfect and many times I deny the Lord through my words and actions. Yet God can take my imperfections and transform them. He can take my weakness and make it strong. Easter is a time of rebirth. It’s a time to celebrate the joy of Jesus’ conquering death. Like Peter, our lives can be changed.

No comments: