Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Science of Farting

I’ve occasionally wondered if any scientific studies have ever been done on farting. Stuff like how many times an average person farts each day and how much gas they typically pass as well as the average length, loudness, and smellieness of one's flatulence. I’m not quite sure how one would conduct such a study but I think it would get peoples attention.

The other day my wife and I were having a normal conversation (that didn’t involve any bodily functions) when out of the blue our dog stood up briefly and then sat back down. I thought I smelt something and of course accused the dog as the culprit. Somehow this spawned a discussion about whether it’s easier to fart while standing or sitting. My wife claimed that she felt it was easier to fart while standing since when you are sitting on something, there is less room behind your but and thus your gas meets a greater resistance. Speaking from my own personal experience however, I would have to say that I find it easier to gas while sitting down. We got a good laugh out of the whole topic and never did research a definitive answer. Maybe some things are best left a mystery.

No comments: