Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Superhero Birthday Party

Our recently turned four year old is WAY into Superheros. He loves them all including Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Ironman,Greenlantern, Wolverine, Flash, Captian America and pretty much any other crime fighting hero that sports a cape or flies. To celebrate his birthday, my wife and I decided to host a Superhero birthday party with his little friends that he goes to daycare with. He loved it so much and we've received so many compliments on the party, that I decided to share what we did in case others wish to do something similar for their children.

First for the invites. To make them extra special, I used some of my Photoshoping skills to take a picture of some superheros and place our son's head on one of them. You wouldn't believe how much he loved seeing his likeness on a superhero and believe me it was the talk of his daycare class.



Now onto the party though. Every respectable superhero needs a cape so we decided to give each child who came to the party, their very own cape. Prior to the party, my wife cut a bunch of capes out of various colors of felt. Then she found some felt stickers sheets that she used to cut out each child's first initial along with other fun shapes including bat emblems, Spiderman emblems, horse silhouettes, crowns, stars and crescent moons. At the start of the party, each child got to choose a cape and then decorate it with their favorite pre-made felt stickers. To finish off the cape, we had little velcro squares that we attached to the sides to fasten the cape comfortably around the child's neck. These capes couldn't make the kids really fly but they sure had a blast running around pretending.


Next my wife read a superhero story to the kids while I took some small (maybe 3 inch tall) toy ninja figurines that we had purchased inexpensively from our local party store, and hid them all over the playground at the park we were holding the party at. My wife then told the kids that they needed to go find some little "badguys" hiding on the playground. It was basically an Easter egg hunt with little plastic figures instead of eggs but the kids loved it. They darted around and were so excited when they would find the little men. To make sure each child got at least one figure we told them they could only take one until everyone had one and then they could hunt down the rest. Of course some kids found them right away and then others had a more difficult time. Fortunately I had some hidden better then others and was able to guide these kids to the better concealed villains.


Once the bad guys had all been captured and peace had been restored to the park, we moved over to Spiderman pinata. Hind sight being what it is, it would have made more sense to have the pinata be a villain as well so that the kids weren't swinging a bat at a good guy but you live and learn. Once it was opened and the candy was pouring out, they didn't seem to mind what the pinata had started out as. Once all the candy had been picked up by the swarm of kids, we finished up the party with the traditional cake and ice cream and present opening. But before the kids left, they had had so much fun running around the playground earlier that they all wanted to do it again. I tried to add to the fun by chasing them around the playground and then letting them chase me. Once they caught up to me I let them "take me to jail" or a certain corner of the playground.


As fun as the entire party was, it was pretty special that my son told me afterwards that his favorite part was running around the park with me. That made my day and made me even more happy then all the parents of the kids who expressed what a fun and creative party it had been. Hopefully this will inspire you on how you can give your child a super Superhero Birthday.

1 comment:

mackyton said...

Superhero Birthday Party! It looks outstanding. I really liked all these party arrangements dear. On my nephew’s birthday we are also planning to use this theme and we have already booked the prettiest venue New York for the party. I am sure it is surely going be a great fun.