Thursday, June 26, 2008

Midnight Visitor

A few nights ago my wife and I were both awakened shortly before midnight by someone knocking on our door. They rapped it twice and then rang our doorbell. Our little dog heard that and started barking like crazy. Now we are still fairly new to our area and don't really know anyone who would come to visit in the middle of the night unannounced so I grabbed a baseball bat we had in the bedroom and stumbled still half-asleep towards our bedroom door. Then my wife mentioned, "Maybe you should put some pants on before you go down there," as I was just in my boxers and a t-shirt. So I garbed a pair of jeans and through them on. I opened the bedroom door and started towards the front door. Like an idiot turned on the main light right away so I couldn't see anything outside till I opened the door. No one was there though. Our mystery visitor was gone. The dog and I went outside and looked around but the neighborhood was silent and no lights could be seen except the street lights. My wife said she did see a car driving up the street from our place while I was headed to the front door so maybe that was the person. Hopefully it was just someone who had the wrong house number and knocked on our door by accident. Just to be safe though, I called the local police and reported it. Seems unlikely that a burglar would ring the bell unless he thought the house was vacant and was just checking first. Probably more likely was some young kids looking for trouble.

No comments: