Monday, April 03, 2006

A bit out of our league

The other day my wife and I were at the mall and she wanted to see if she could find a spring purse. She called me over to one she found and showed me the price tag. “One hundred and thirty dollars?” I read out loud. Then she shook her head and moved her thumb revealing an additional digit to the left. That’s right. This purse cost over a thousand dollars. Neither of us could believe it and needless to say we didn’t spend much more time in that store. Apparently it’s for people who are in a little higher class then us.

It got me thinking though. How bad would you feel if you owned a purse like that and got mugged? I would be saying, “Take the cash, just please let me keep the purse.” That definitely seems a bit backwards. Doesn’t it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be that I'm in a silly mood, but I thought that “Take the cash, just please let me keep the purse" line was hilarious. I don't quite understand why people buy things that are that expensive. Purses that are in the $100+ range are theoretically of higher quality and will last longer (therefore, being more cost effective in the long run over buying multiple, cheaper purses), but $1,300 seems excessive.

armadillo44 said...

Thanks JP for your comments. If the Big MAC was still on the radio, I think this would be a worthy topic. Though I have to question where you get such knowledge on the quality of $100 purses vs $20 ones : )