Friday, March 31, 2006

Visiting Relatives


Last weekend my wife and I had the opportunity to visit with one of my aunt and uncles and their family. We had never been to their home which was about a four hour drive from our home. Their daughter had a lead role in her high school play, “Once Upon a Mattress”, so we figured it was a good time to take a little road trip.

The play was a lot of fun and my cousin, who we had never seen act before, did a tremendous job. She sang multiple numbers and really brought a lot of life to the show. Both my wife and I were amazed at her talent as we weren’t expecting anything nearly that good. I also got to help her brother tune some drums before the play which he playing in the orchestra. I had never even realized that you could tune a drum so that was a new experience for me.

The trip wasn’t all fun and games though. My uncle has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and you could see that dealing with this unfortunate situation is difficult for the whole family. He was in good spirits though joking about it and even showed us around the ice cream plant that he is a manager at (and of course we had to try a little bit of ice cream). We also had a chance to just sit in their home and visit and that really was the best thing off all. So often when we see relatives at reunions or special occasions, so much is going on that we don’t get a chance to really talk. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to head back and see them again (maybe for another play).



My Aunt and Uncle watch their daughter in the school play

No comments: