Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Welcome to the Windy City

We took a little road trip last weekend to Chicago with some friends to go to a Blue Man Group show. It was my first time being in the Chicago other then at the airport or just driving through it on the interstate. Overall we had a great time. Our first encounter with a local resident actually happened in our car at a red light. The guy in the lane next to us must have noticed our out of state license plates and the map on my lap (my wife was driving and I was navigating). He tapped his horn lightly to get our attention and I rolled down my window.

“You folks lost?” he cheerfully asked. “Thanks but we know where we are at,” I replied. Then the light turned and we were off. What a friendly welcome I thought.
After we checked into our hotel we walked a few blocks to Navy Pier. It did remind us a lot of Duluth, MN but Lake Michigan’s water seemed a bit bluer to us. We just walked around for a while and then went through the stain glass museum. My wife talked me into to going into a little fun house with her which featured a mirror maze, static electricity generator, and other fun things. The highlight of Navy Pier was definitely the Ferris wheel though. As we stood in line to get on it, we noticed that all of the carriages on it had the McDonald’s golden arches logo. As I gave my ticket to the lady working there I asked if we could go in the McDonald’s one. She just smiled and said, “Sure you can.” A bit later as we boarded our carriage I heard someone tell me, “Make sure you have your seat belt on.” I looked down and of course there was no seat belt. Then I looked up to see the same lady I had joked with earlier with a big smile on her face. She got me back good.

No comments: