Friday, October 28, 2005

This time next week...

This time next week...will not be this time.

This time last week is of course the same as this time this week but thanks to daylight savings, the above statement is technically true. I bring it up firstly because you can’t often truthfully make such a crazy statement. My other reason though is to point out how arbitrary our measurements of time really are. Basically we as a society have come to except that 10:00 AM is a certain time of the day. This weekend we will be told that what would be 10:00 AM on Sunday for that last few months is really going to be 9:00 AM and most of us will except it and never think twice (might even enjoy the extra hour of sleep). I’m not saying that it is bad that we except these standards. If we didn’t, our world wouldn’t be very punctual or orderly. I just find it interesting. Time is what it is...but what is it. One thing is for sure, I doubt I’ll know the answer by this time next week (whenever that is).

No comments: