Thursday, October 27, 2005

Baseball Magic

So the White Sox are the 2005 World Series Champions. I stayed up last night past my bedtime (which really isn’t as late as it use to be) to watch the final game between the Chicago White Sox and the Houston Astros. I really didn’t think the Astros would be able to come back and take the series but was hoping they could at least pull out a win to force a game five. It was a good game with no score going into the eighth inning. Then the Sox squeaked out a run and I knew at once that the game was over. The Astros really weren’t blown out in this series despite being swept. They just always came up one hit short of winning (kind of reminds me of my Minnesota Twins this year). Anyway, I was getting tired and seriously thought about going to sleep but decided to stick it out to the end.

Their is something magical about watching a team win a World Series. For me it reminds me of when I was 11 and the Twins won baseball’s ultimate trophy in 1991. Similar to how watching a wedding often takes me right back to my own wedding day, I was whisked back to that deciding game seven at the Metrodome. I had followed the Twins religiously that year listening to most of their games on my alarm clock radio while lying in bed. My Grandma would save the sports sections from the daily paper and I would cut out any Twins articles. I even kept my own game summaries for much of the year. It all came down to this one game however against the Atlanta Braves. Jack Morris pitched a heck of game going all ten innings without giving up a run. Kent Hrbek had started a 3-2-3 double play with bases loaded to preserve the shutout. Now with Dan Gladden on third and Gene Larkin batting I heard the words I’ll never forget.

“The Twins are going to win the World Series...The Twins have won!”

Larkin had lofted a base hit over the drawn in outfield and Gladden was greeted by a mob of players at the plate as he scored the winning run. The fans at the dome went crazy and we cheered with joy from our living room. What a wonderful memory that was. I was on cloud nine for the entire following week. Even if the Twins were to win the next 10 World Series, it could never come close to the magic of that moment.

Baseball is a wonderful game. It got me through a lot of tough years growing up. Listening to the games took me to a place where my everyday problems didn’t exist. When my dad and I weren’t getting along very well it was the one thing we could always talk about. But best of all, baseball gave me this magical moment I’ll never forget. Now in 2005 watching the Sox players jump on each other and scream and celebrate, I have to wonder if there is some young boy out there who just experienced the magic of his team winning the World Series. I cannot help but smile as I think about the time when I was once that boy. Congratulations to all White Sox fans. Enjoy the magic.

--A starry eyed boy (October, 1991) --

No comments: