Thursday, September 01, 2005

Thanks for the Memories

A couple weeks back my wife and I decided to use some Twins tickets we had laying around. We ended up going with a whole crew of people including my dad, one of my brothers, and some good friends from ours college days. The game was nothing special. In fact, in true Twins fashion, the home team ended up loosing on a grandslam in the 10th inning. It was a memorable outing for me though thanks to what happened prior to the game.

As I entered the Metrodome through a revolving door, I looked around to see where everyone was. Standing a few feet away from me was my father and he had a look on his face that I couldn’t recall seeing before. He said, “Look, it’s some of the old Twins players.” Sure enough no more then 20 feet in front of us were some former Twins. They were posing for pictures with fans who had formed a short line.

Now it just so happens that I had at the last minute before the game decided to bring my digital camera. I usually don’t take it to ball games but something told me I should. My wife told my dad we had the camera with us and that he should go get in line and we would take his picture for him. His eyes grew larger and were filled with excitement as he and my brother went and stood in line to meet the former players.

You could just see the thrill of the anticipation building as my dad got closer and closer. Next thing you know he was shaking the players hands and posing for his picture. The expression on his face looked like that of a child’s on Christmas morning. Even though my dad stood there in a 52 year old’s body, I was able to catch a glimpse of him as a young boy. I started to think how these where his heroes growing up and how to him this was a childhood dream come true. It was beautiful to see.

I clicked a few pictures and the moment was over. Dad came up to us with a huge smile still beaming from his face. “That was Tony Oliva, the greatest Twins hitter ever,” he said. “What did you say to him,” I asked. My dad replied, “Just thanks for the memories.”

“Thanks for the memories,” I thought to myself. My Father had given me a memory that I wouldn’t soon forget.


No comments: