Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Masterpiece in the Sky


This weekend we had a pretty good thunderstorm at our home. For some reason I always love watching storms. It's beautiful to just take it all in as the storm develops. This storm started around dusk so the sky was filled with amazing color. You could hear the thunder rolling in the distance and feel the air change as the storm came closer. I sat out on the deck with our small dog and my camera in hand and just took the whole thing in. Finally it started gently raining. The rain gained intensity and began to downpour so I retreated inside and watched as the storm passed. Later that night while in bed sleeping, my wife and I awoke to loud crashes of thunder. The storm was back in full force. I opened the curtain window, grabbed my camera and witnessed an amazing lightning show. My wife, who was trying to sleep, thought I was a bit crazy and she was probably right. Most people probably don't enjoy watching storms as much as me. When viewing such a phenomenon, I think to myself what a small part I play in this world and realize just how much is out of my control. You never know what will come next when watching a storm and as soon as it can come, it can also be gone. To me watching a storm is like watching a live work of art that will never be replicated again. Mother Nature is quite the artist and what a masterpiece she created.

No comments: