Monday, August 01, 2005

Am I dreaming?

I was sitting in my living room last night when I saw my dog become frightened by a moving light. It rested by the couch and my wife and I stared at each other in disbelief. We knew it was a ghost as we could feel its presence. I got up and tried to chase it away and causing the ghostly light to dart down the hall into our bedroom where it produced a flash of light. When I got to the room it was dark and the light switch wouldn’t work. “The ghost must have somehow blown the fuse,” I thought to myself. Then I caught a glimpse of the creature in the upper corner of our window and I could tell it was very upset with me. I raced at it and tried to scare it by screaming as loud as I could.

All of a sudden I heard my wife’s voice calling my name and asking me if I was ok. Yes, of course it was just a dream and I had been tossing and turning throughout it. Apparently I let out a real scream though which startled my wife. After assuring her I was fine (that’s always been questionable I suppose), I got a drink of water and went back to bed.

Then I started thinking. The dream still seemed so vivid and I realized that for a brief moment my dream and my real life had combined. As real as it had all seemed I was glad that I had come to my senses and back to reality. Or had I? What if this reality in which I live is just a dream in my mind while the dreams I have at night are what is real?

This can not be I told myself. After all, when I think about my dreams they are always disjointed and illogical. But, then I began to ponder how there have been times in my dreams that I have been aware that I am dreaming and that I would wake up eventually. I’ve even dreamt that I had woke up and in actuality was still asleep. There obviously is some kind of connection between our dreams and real life experiences but maybe we have the purposes of the two reversed.

Isn’t it possible that we could exist in a world without logic? Perhaps even as I type this, I am living in a world that my subconscious has created. It would make sense that if our dreams are our true reality that we would attempt to create a logical world for ourselves in our minds to add some order to our existence. Who am I to say that this isn’t possible. Maybe our minds even convince us that our dreams aren’t real to protect us from the true experiences. Of course if this is true then no one but me will ever read this nor does it really matter. All I can say is, “If I am dreaming right now, SOMEBODY PLEASE PINCH ME.”

No comments: