Monday, November 07, 2016

The advice I give my kids

I tell my kids to do the right thing, even when no one else is doing it. To do the right thing, even if they don't think anyone cares or will notice. To do the right thing, even if doing something else might be easier. And that's a big part of why I'm voting for Mike Maturen and the American Solidarity Party for President of the United States. Many people feel this is a 'wasted vote' but I've never felt like my vote meant more nor felt so good about who I am voting for.

I know many good people who are voting for one of the two final major party candidates and I respect them for following their conscience. However if I was to vote for either one of them, I would not consider myself a good person. Especially when there is another candidate and party that so closely align with my views. A party that is centered around a 'pro-life for the whole life' ethic at it's core and is inspired by Catholic social teachings. In my opinion it represents the best of the two major parties at a time when both of these parties have their worst on display.  If I don't support this new party that stands for what I believe when given the opportunity, then I have sold out and can't complain when the two major parties continue offering options I strongly oppose. Voting for the American Solidarity Party IS the right thing to do and my conscience knows it.

"But Mr. Maturen has no chance of winning," I often hear. This of course isn't technically true as he has secured write in approval from enough states to theoretically win the presidency. The only reason he has no chance is because people have bought into the lie that a write in could never win. What I find paradoxical is that so many people would love to vote for ANYONE else besides the two major party candidates, but refuse to do so because they feel they are helping the worst of the two evils. All it would take is for these very people to take a stand together and Maturen or another third party candidate could definitely win. I strongly believe that if Maturen had an 'R' or a 'D' by his name, people would love to embrace him.

And yet I am a realist and know that there is a better chance of that the Vikings will finally win a Superbowl then there is that Maturen will win the presidency. This disappoints me but it also brings me to where voting for him has it's greatest value. You see in voting for Mike Maturen, I'm not just voting for an individual in our current election. I'm giving a vote of confidence to party that can make a difference in the future. Everything no matter how large or successful, started as something small. Voting for the American Solidarity Party is building something good that I hope can one days soon become big enough to influence politics in our country in a major way.  It's building a party of Common Good, Common Ground and Common Sense. It's not just saying that I reject the major party options put forward, but also offering a solution. It's offering hope at a time our country and world desperately need it.

I'm not throwing my vote away when I vote for Mike Maturen and the American Solidarity Party. Especially here in my home state where the Democratic candidate will easily win, my vote for either of the two major party candidates would truly be the 'wasted vote'. No, my vote will actually stand for something that I believe in and can be proud of. I'm not simply voting against someone. I'll be one of the rare individuals who is actually voting FOR someone. Time will tell what will become of Mike Maturen and the American Solidarity, but in the words of St Mother Teresa,  “God has not called me to be successful; He has called me to be faithful.” There's certainly never been a better time to take the advise I give my kids.

No comments: