Thursday, February 16, 2012

A New Era: Sans Blockbuster and Light Rock Radio

Our local Blockbuster is closing it's doors soon. My wife was quite bummed. Sure we can use the online service or subscribe to Netflix, or use the Redbox vending machines at our local grocery store but there was something special and perhaps now even a bit nostalgic about browsing all the videos together at the local video store. Of course the real surprise is probably that we still had a local Blockbuster store to visit. Time are certainly changing and it's been a bit of a rough transition for my wife.

In addition to our movie store going away, my wife also was a bit melancholy lately when her favorite radio station abandoned it's Light Rock format in favor of Country. Just as the way society watches movies has changed, so to has the way we listen to music. I get it that there are just so many other option now that more specialized radio stations have a harder time making it. But the world (or at least our area) doesn't need another country station.

I guess we are getting to the point where we can say, "Remember the good old days when we could listen to light rock fm radio and peruse the local video store?" Seems like we are too young to be saying that but we are certainly entering a new era of media and entertainment. I remember my Grandfather telling me about how he went to the local store to replace his broken TV set and was frustrated that they didn't have any black and white televisions anymore. Seemed funny at the time but I guess I'm starting to understand his disappointing a bit. We get kind of comfortable with the way we go about our lives and it's kind of sad when those routines and familiarities change. No doubt my wife and I will adjust I'm sure and be just fine. Who knows we might even break down and get an HD TV or iPhone one of these days.

No comments: