Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Opening night for the Twins

Boy it's fun to have baseball back. The Minnesota Twins didn't disappoint last night as they started the 2008 season out on the right foot...that being the foot of Carlos Gomez. He sure looks like an exciting player to watch this year. My wife already proclaimed to me that he is her new favorite player. She really hasn't had a favorite since Jacque Jones left. Of course I don't expect Gomez to get on base three times every night, steal two bases and score two runs, but some nights his speed is going to single handedly be the difference maker and tonight was a prime example.

Overall I thought the team looked pretty good for the first game. Adam Everett's near grand slam got me pretty excited even though it went foul. The thought occurred to me that everyone in the starting lineup can at least line the ball into the gap this year which is refreshing after watching the piranhas try to string together seeing eye basehits the last couple of years. We'll see how the starting pitching shakes out but regardless I think it's going to be a fun year.

On a side note, I'm less then impressed with the new Silverlight MLB.TV player. The video seams much more pixelated and choppy then the old Windows Media Player format. For some reason I couldn't revert to the old format last night like I could in Spring Training games so that was frustrating and I hope they get it fixed. I also had a look at the new gameday and didn't really care for that either. It seemed messier and having to scroll to get past adds and large tabs is no fun. Lucky for me the game was on ESPN so I didn't have to use MLB.TV. Maybe it will be better tonight.

No comments: