Thursday, March 29, 2007

ESPN knew about Garza

Like most Twins fans I’ve paid close attention to how the starting rotation has been shaping up this spring. The other day while watching the game against the Yankees, I heard the ESPN announcer state that Matt Garza had been sent down and that Gardenhire had said that Silva would be the fifth starter and would be skipped in the rotation to start the year. Even though I think Garza is a much better pitcher then Silva, I wasn’t overly shocked by the news as I felt the Twins would go this route. What did surprise me was that LaVelle stated in a comment on his blog that he had talked with ESPN’s Buck Martines after the game and he denied that they reported that Garza was being sent down.

Now a few days later it sounds like what ESPN claimed they didn’t say, was true all along. My guess is that the Twins made the decision on the starting rotation prior to the game with the Yankees and the announcers just slipped when they made that comment. Why would the Gardenhire have told them announced team plans in the first place? And why did they keep Garza around the big league camp for an extra day? I just found the whole thing very interesting.

No comments: